User Guide: TruSTAR for Jira
This document explains how to use the TruSTAR Workflow App for Jira, including how to submit issues to TruSTAR, enrich JIRA issues with TruSTAR data, and keep data synced between Jira issues and TruSTAR Enclaves.
- Submit JIRA Issues to TruSTAR, either automatically or manually.
- Enrich JIRA Issues with intelligence from TruSTAR, either automatically or manually. This enrichment includes a deep link to the TruSTAR Report, high priority Indicators, and correlated Indicators.
- Update the TruSTAR Report when a JIRA Issue is modified or updated or closed.
- Delete a Report in TruSTAR when the related Jira issue is deleted.
This video is a short demonstration of how TruSTAR works with Jira.
Submitting a Report
If you have enabled Auto-Submission in the plug-in configuration, newly created Jira issues are automatically sent to TruSTAR as Reports. If you have set Exclude criteria in the configuration, any issues that meet that criteria are not sent to TruSTAR.
You can also manually Send a report to TruSTAR for enrichment by selecting Send to TruSTAR in the list of issue options.
After the JIRA Issue is submitted to TruSTAR, a comment is added to the JIRA Issue with the following enrichment:
- TruSTAR Report URL: a link to the corresponding Report in TruSTAR Station.
- Correlated Reports: an integer number representing the quantity of TruSTAR Reports that correlate with this JIRA Issue.
- High-Priority Correlated Indicators: a list of high-priority Indicators in TruSTAR that correlate with this JIRA Issue.
- Correlated Indicators: a list of Indicators (by type) previously reported to TruSTAR that correlate with this JIRA Issue.
This is an example of enrichment returned on a sample JIRA issue:
Automatic Updates to Jira Issues
If you have Auto-Submission enabled in the TruStar App, the Jira issue and the TruSTAR Report are always kept in sync:
- When you update a Jira issue, that information is updated in the TruSTAR Report.
- Any new information in the TruSTAR Report is sent back to the Jira issue as a new comment, containing details on the latest enrichment.
Automatic Closure of Jira Issues in TruSTAR
If you have Auto-Submission enabled in the TruStar App, the App will send a final update to the TruSTAR Report when a Jira issue is assigned a value in the Final Status field.
For example, if your team uses the value Complete to indicate an issue is closed, then any time a Jira issue status is changed to Complete, the TruSTAR App will sync all comments from that issue to the corresponding Report in TruSTAR.
Deleting a Jira Issue in TruSTAR
If you have Auto-Submission enabled in the TruStar App, any issue you delete from a Jira project is automatically deleted in your TruSTAR Enclave.